Sign up to attend Professional U Activities at Husky Career Link
The Sophomore Experiential Learning Program or SEL
is a 3-5 day (20-40) hour job shadowing program that allows you to learn about a career field by observing a
professional in the workplace. It is a great way to begin making professional contacts now to help advance your career in the future.
. Am I eligible?
A minimum GPA of 2.0 is required for participation in the SEL Program, however a 2.5 GPA is preferred.
2. Will I be placed in a job shadowing opportunity?
The university works with alumni and partner organizations to offer job shadowing opportunities for students. It is your responsibility to locate a host and schedule your job shadowing experience.
3. How can I find a job shadowing host?
Students locate job shadowing opportunities in several ways:
- Search Husky Career Link at www.bloomu.edu/careers for job shadowing hosts, or search for organizational partners and contact the company's Human Resources department
- Network with alumni through the BU Alumni Association's LinkedIn group and reach out to individuals in your field
- Talk to faculty members in your department who have industry contacts
- Talk to family and friends who have contacts in companies where you would like to job shadow
4. What will this cost me?
There is no tuition cost associated with completing a job shadowing experience. Depending on the location of your host, you may have expenses to travel to and from the workplace.
5. What do I need to do to be enrolled in the program?
To enroll in the program, you must attend an information session and complete an application form.
6. What will be expected of me?
Similar to a job, you will be expected to be on time, dress appropriately for the workplace and complete paperwork required by the SEL program. Upon completion of your job shadowing experience, you need to complete a student survey and ask your host to complete an evaluation and survey. Links to these forms will be provided to you or you can find them on this page.
7. Will I get credit on my transcript?
The SEL program is not for credit. However, upon successful completion, you will receive a notation of completion on your official academic transcript.